São José Operário Church The São José Operário Church was designed by the Czech architect Yaro Burian in 1942 and inaugurated in the aftermath of the war in 1946. The church was entirely financed and managed by the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira and even the priests were hired by the company. It is the only V-shaped church in the world, symbolizing Via, Veritas, Vita (path, truth, and life). View more View more Hospital Margarida The Margarida hospital was inaugurated in 1952 and named after Louis Ensch's mother Marguerite on the occasion of his 25th anniversary at Belgo Mineira. View more View more Demuth House In the 1950s, Emile Demuth and his family lived in this house built by the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira. Today, Ademar and Elise Soares Oliveira live in the well-preserved former Demuth house. View more View more Social Club The Social Club was built in the 1940s by the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira as a gathering point where Luxembourgish engineers, foremen and their families would spend their freetime. Only Europeans and highly ranked Brazilian engineers were granted access to the Social Clube's facilities. View more View more Louis Ensch Stadium The football stadium Louis Ensch was inaugurated in 1952 and named after Louis Ensch on the occasion of his 25th anniversary at Belgo Mineira. Historical Cemetery of Monlevade The Historical Cemetery of Monlevade, also known as the Cemetery of the Slaves, was entirely built by the Jean de Monlevade's slaves in the 19th century. There, the two European engineers Jean de Monlevade and Louis Ensch are buried next to each other. This private cemetery belongs to ArcelorMittal and is maintained by the company as a historical monument of its corporate history. View more View more Fazenda Solar The Fazenda Solar was built around 1818 as the new residence of the French engineer Jean Antoine Félix Dissandes de Monlevade. Today, the Fazenda belongs to ArcelorMittal and is occasionally used for special receptions. View more View more João Monlevade plant On 31 August 1935, the founding stone of Belgo Mineira's steel plant in João Monlevade was laid. The construction of this steel plant attracted thousands of workers and engineers from various different countries to João Monlevade seeking new job opportunities. View more View more Grupo Escolar primary school The Grupo Escolar was a primary school built and run by the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira in the 1940s. It is the only building from the Aires Quaresma square which has not been demolished during the expansion works of the steel plant. Today, the former school building is occupied by ArcelorMittal's RH department of the Monlevade plant. View more View more Cine Monlevade The Cine Monlevade was built by the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira in the 1940s. It was located in the centre of the company's industrial town and attracted many residents with several international screenings. The Cinema was later demolished by the company for the expansion of the steel plant. View more View more Mercado do Geo The Mercado do Geo was a local family run business lead by Senhor Leleo and located near the Casino. The residents of Monlevade would buy their groceries and house hold appliances at the Geo Market. View more View more Casino João Monlevade The Casino was built by the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira. Following the Luxembourgish Casino concept developed by ARBED, it was destined to accommodate recently arrived employees of the company and had a restaurant serving typical Luxembourgish dishes. View more View more [L]AÇO João Monlevade The [L]AÇO kiosk is a participatory multimedia platform built in the framework of Esch2022 – European Capital of Culture. The word play [L]AÇO (laço = ties ; aço = steel) literally means ties of steel. As integral part of this transmedia project, two [L]AÇO kiosks have been constructed – one in Minas Gerais and one in Luxembourg, to (re)create ties of steel and build a bridge between both mining regions. View more View more Andrade Mine The iron ore-rich region of Andrade is located near the Monlevade area. It was acquired by Gaston Barbanson in 1921 and destined to feed the blast furnaces of the planned steel plant in the Monlevade region. View more View more Companhia Açucareira Rio Doce (CARDO) The Companhia Açucareira Rio Doce was a sugar cane factory founded in 1948 by the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira in Governador Valadares. The Luxembourger Albert Heinen was the director of this sugar cane company, which produced up to 10.000 litres of Cachaça a day. It was shut down in 1978. View more View more Sabará Sabará is a 300-year-old historical city in the metropolitan region of Belo Horizonte. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the city attracted several gold diggers who exploited the region's gold mines with slave labour. In 1921, Sabará became the headquarters of ARBED's Brazilian subsidiary, the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira. View more View more Vilar Formoso Vilar Formoso is a small Portuguese town and the main Portuguese-Spanish border-crossing. During World War II, thousands of Jewish refugees attempted to reach Lisbon and emigrate overseas via Vilar Formoso. In 2017, the Museum "Vilar Formoso - Frontier of Peace, Memorial of the Refugees and the Consul Aristides de Sousa Mendes" was inaugurated to remember the refugees who had been to Vilar Formoso hoping to cross the border. View more View more Confeitaria Kurt The Confeitaria Kurt is a very famous deli in Rio de Janeiro's upper-class neighbourhood Leblon. It was founded in the 1940s by Kurt Deichmann, who fled to Brazil in 1938 to start a new life and left his family behind in Remich, Luxembourg. In 2013, Kurt Deichmann's daughter Marion Deichmann published a book telling her story entitled Je voudrais que son nom apparaisse partout: Une enfant au coeur du génocide. Minas Tênis Clube, Belo Horizonte The Minas Tênis Clube was built in 1935. It was a social and sports club exclusively visited by the prominent elite and high society of Belo Horizonte. View more View more Fazenda do Quilombo The Fazenda do Quilombo was Louis Ensch's farmhouse in Pedro Leopoldo, Minas Gerais. There, Louis Ensch ran his business activities as a passionate ranch owner. View more View more Belo Horizonte Belo Horizonte was founded in 1897 to replace the colonial city of Ouro Preto as the new capital of the State of Minas Gerais. Belo Horizonte is the country's first planned modern city. View more View more João Monlevade João Monlevade is an industrial city in the State of Minas Gerais. It was built by the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira in the 1930s and named after the French engineer Jean de Monlevade, who had settled in the region in the early 19th century. On 29th April 1964, the village of João Monlevade was promoted into a Brazilian municipality and currently has an estimated population of about 80 000. View more View more Ensch's birth house The Ensch house was on 30, rue de Reichlange, only a few steps away from the prestigious Bian residence in the small village of Redange-sur-Attert. Hotel Brasseur The Grand Hotel Brasseur was a famous hotel inaugurated in 1873 in the heart of Luxembourg-city. The historical building on Royal boulevard was demolished in 1969. Siderúrgica plant The Siderúrgica plant is Belgo Mineira's oldest steel plant. In 1921, ARBED expanded the small steel factory of the Companhia Siderúrgica Mineira founded in 1917. Belgo Mineira's headquarters was in Sabará and the historical directors' buildings of the steel plant are being preserved by ArcelorMittal. View more View more Centro de Memória ArcelorMittal Brasil O prédio do Cassino foi construído pela Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira em 1937, em Sabará. Seguindo o conceito do Cassino luxemburguês desenvolvido pela ARBED, destinava-se a acolher os recém-chegados colaboradores da empresa e tinha um restaurante que servia pratos típicos luxemburgueses. Hoje, o Cassino continua sendo propriedade particular da empresa e abriga o Centro de Memória ArcelorMittal. Bian residence The Bian residence, located at 36, rue de Reichlange was the most impressive house in the small village of Redange-sur-Attert. Scharlé Fazenda The Fazenda Santo António da Moraria was bought by the Scharlé family in 1940 to become the family's permanent residence. After Albert Scharlé's death, the vast place was transformed into a recreational club, the Clube Albert Scharlé. The private church and family crypt, however, remain the family's property. View more View more Belgo Mineira headquarters Edifício Louis Ensch Belgo Mineira's former headquarters in Belo Horizonte, today ArcelorMittal. Luxemburgo neighbourhood Luxemburgo is an upper middle-class neighbourhood in Belo Horizonte. It used to be the property of the Luxembourgish engineer Albert Scharlé. His descendants transformed the inherited estate into a neighbourhood called Luxemburgo in memory of the family's Luxembourgish origins. Honorary Consulate of Luxembourg in Belo Horizonte Honorary Consulate of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg in Belo Horizonte Brasilia Brasilia was founded in 1960 by the mineiro president Juscelino Kubitschek to become the new Brazilian capital. The planned city located in the central-western Brazilian highlands and was conceived by the Brazilian architects Lucio Costa and Oscar Niemeyer. Belgo Mineira's Drawing Mill in Contagem Belgo Mineira's Trefilaria was inaugurated in 1958 in Contagem, Belo Horizonte. Nossa Senhora da Conceição Church The Church Nossa Senhora da Conceição was built in the early eighteenth century. Inside, its golden ornaments reflect the colonial past of the gold rush. View more View more Rio de Janeiro The city of Rio de Janeiro was founded in 1565 and was the capital of Brazil until 1960, when it was replaced by Brasilia. This iconic city in southeastern Brazil is also the capital of the State of Rio de Janeiro. Luxembourg Embassy in Brasilia The Luxembourg Embassy in Brasilia was inaugurated on 1 March 2018. It is the first Luxembourg Embassy in South America. View more View more Cravo Vermelho, Sabará The Cravo Vermelho Club was built in the late 1920s and destined to promote social activities of the European employees and their families. Leopold Bian was a founding member. Sabará Cemetery Several familiar Luxembourgish names can be found today on the grave stones of this public cemetery in Sabará. Fohrmann’s carpenter’s shop Jean-Pierre Fohrmann was born in Dudelange, where he worked at ARBED's steel plant in Dudelange, Luxembourg. Fohrmann was transferred to Sabará to work at ARBED's Brazilian subsidiary in 1922. There, hen worked as a "chef-modelador" and opened his carpenter's shop. He produced furniture for several employees of the company. View more View more Casino Sabará The Casino building was built by the Companhia Siderúrgica Belgo Mineira in 1937 in Sabará. Following the Luxembourgish Casino concept developed by ARBED, it was destined to accommodate recently arrived employees of the company and had a restaurant serving typical Luxembourgish dishes. Today, the Casino remains the private property of the company and hosts the Centro de Memória ArcelorMittal. View more View more Memorial of Human Rights (former D.O.P.S.) The Memorial of Human Rights is a project initiated by the amnesty movement to transform the former D.O.P.S. and DOI-CODI of Belo Horizonte, institutions of political repression and torture during Brazil's military dictatorship, into a remembrance site destined to shed light upon all the atrocities which happened during that time. In spite of years of efforts, the Memorial project remains unfinished. São Paulo The city of São Paulo was founded in 1554 and is the most populous city in South America. It is also the capital of the State of São Paulo. ARBED Luxembourg The Luxembourg-based steel conglomerate ARBED – Aciéries Réunies Burbach-Eich-Dudelange – was founded in Luxembourg in 1911 and played a key role in the country's industrial and economic development throughout the 20th century. The ARBED headquarters in Luxembourg city was built in 1922. View more View more [L]AÇO Esch-Belval The [L]AÇO kiosk is a participatory multimedia platform built in the framework of Esch2022 – European Capital of Culture. The word play [L]AÇO (laço = ties ; aço = steel) literally means ties of steel. As integral part of this transmedia project, two [L]AÇO kiosks have been constructed – one in Minas Gerais and one in Luxembourg, to (re)create ties of steel and build a bridge between both mining regions. View more View more Redange-sur-Attert Redange-sur-Attert is a small town in western Luxembourg. View more View more Esch-sur-Alzette Esch-sur-Alzette is situated in the industrial south called Bassin Minier and the second-most populous town in Luxembourg. The discovery of the Minette ore in the 1870s forever changed its urban landscape, provoking the development of the Luxembourgish steel industry, which attracted workers from all over Luxembourg and several countries to Esch. ARBED's former industrial site in Esch-Belval has been transformed into a university campus. View more View more Luxembourg The Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg is a small country situated between Belgium, France and Germany. The former medieval fortress became an independant country in 1839 with the Treaty of London. Luxembourg has been occupied by its neighbouring countries and foreign-reigned several times throughout history. It is the world's last Grand Duchy functionning as a representative democracy with a constitutional monarch, Grand Duke Henri de Luxembourg. View more View more Brazil Brazil is the largest country in Latin America and was colonised by the Portuguese Empire in 1500. The country is named after the pau-brasil, the brazilwood which was massively explored in the 16th century. In 1809, the Portuguese Crown fled to Brazil during the Napolean wars and proclaimed Rio de Janeiro as the capital of the Portuguese Empire. On 7 September 1822, the King's son, Dom Predro I, was declared first emperor of independent Brazil. Several millions of slaves, mostly from African countries, have worked in the gold mines and plantations for many centuries. Brazil is the last country in the Americas to have officially abolished slavery on 13 May 1888. View more View more Bico de Lacre Bico de Lacre was a famous restaurant and deli in Belo Horizonte. It was founded by members of the Colônia Luxemburguesa, the Debortoli family which also managed the Casino in Sabará, the Kayser family which also managed the Casino in Monlevade, and the Leineweber family. Bico de Lacre was on 150, rua dos Carijós in Belo Horizonte.